MALiA recognizes the importance of education in the development of library staff. Scholarships for graduate tuition are available on a competitive basis to librarians or staff members who are employed at MALiA member libraries. Scholarships will be granted based on available funds as determined by the Executive Board and Scholarship Committee. Each applicant’s service and commitment to professional librarianship will be considered by the committee. This is to include, but is not limited to, years of service, memberships and activities in the profession. Applicants must demonstrate the need for financial assistance as well as inform the committee of other financial aid obtained. Scholarships will be awarded in the Fall and the Spring. Successful applicants will be required to submit a copy of their grade report after each semester. Photocopies of the grade report are acceptable. All information submitted to the Scholarship Committee will be kept in strict confidence.
Applicants must complete the following steps to be considered for a scholarship:
- Applicants will be required to have a bachelor’s degree and show proof of acceptance to a graduate program in library and/or information studies.
- A cover letter and resume will be submitted.
- The applicant must submit at least two professional recommendations. Letters of reference will weigh heavily in award considerations.
- The applicant should complete the financial considerations form.
- The applicant must fill out the application online using the link below.
Additional forms (resume/cover letter etc.) may be uploaded with the online application or emailed to the MALiA Scholarship Committee at [email protected]
The deadline for submitting applications is July 1 for Fall awards, November 20 for Spring awards, and April 1 for Summer awards.